Fireside Chat: Tracy Garrad (workshop choice 3)
Tracy Garrad is the CEO of first direct, the UK’s number one bank for customer satisfaction and recommendation. Launched in 1989, today it has over 1.3m customers, is the fourth biggest retail banking business of HSBC globally, and continues to win countless awards for customer service excellence across industry sectors.
Tracy joined the HSBC Group in June 2012, with responsibility for Contact Centre services across Europe and the Middle East. She moved to first direct in April 2013 to lead the business and shape the three year strategy, and was appointed Chief Executive in May 2014, the first female to hold the position in the bank’s history.
Tracy’s career prior to joining HSBC includes 12 years in financial services, preceded by a number of years in the Retail and Automotive sectors. Her background and experience includes roles in Operational and Commercial Management, Marketing, Public Affairs and Technology Leadership.
Her executive education includes London Business School and IESE. Tracy is a Vice President of the UK Institute of Customer Service, plays an Ambassador role for HSBC with the Prince’s Trust, supports the national and regional Boards of Maggie’s Cancer Centres and is a Leader in Residence at Leeds University Business School
Tracy is married, with two children aged 23 and 18 and divides her time between London and Leeds
Business Savvy (workshop choice 1)
- Establish an approach for communicating with gravitas to different audiences.
- Know how to apply business terminologies such as cost-benefit analysis, return on investment and output potential towards making compelling personal development pitches.
- Know what it means to strike a balance between risk and reward and demonstrate how pros and cons have been evaluated when making a business case.
Play to your strengths: A Personal SWOT Analysis (workshop choice 1)
- Complete a personal SWOT analysis to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats from a career and personal development perspective.
- Know when to take calculated risks and how to play to your strengths.
- Develop insight on how greater self-awareness self-belief and confidence can help you feel more grounded.
Sponsorship and Networking (workshop choice 2)
- Learn how to enhance your career and effectiveness through better networking.
- The difference between sponsors and mentors and the power of networking through sponsors.
- Understand office politics, power and influence. Learn ways to operate effectively in such environments.
- Adapt your mind-set to be a successful networker.
Perceptions Matter (workshop choice 2)
- Develop personal strategies for making that first impact or lasting impact.
- Better understand your personal brand and your own perceptions about yourself and how that can drive your approach in getting things done.
- Expand core skills to maximise personal impact when working in teams and one to one.
Negotiating Situations (workshop choice 3)
- Understand the core principles of effective personal negotiations.
- Develop a clear strategy for negotiating at work around areas, which directly impact you or your effectiveness.
- How to deal with differing opinions, handle difficult people and deal with conflicts.
- Identify areas that are critical to your success where you will be able to demonstrate these principles.